The Gift

Written in English by Saleh Addonia


“The sound! It’s gone!” I shouted after waking from a coma in our round-shaped hut. But I could not hear myself. Only the tin tin buzzing inside my head. I saw my family surrounding me, in tears. When I tried to get out of bed to enjoy the light of day, I felt dizzy and fell back, cradling my ringing ears.

Family and friends came to the room and sat. They looked at me with pity then talked amongst themselves. To avoid seeing people, I went out in the dark – in the moonless nights, and with father holding me with his right hand and the lantern with the other. Weeks later, my balance returned and my body strengthened. I got bored and ventured out. Adults and other children were greeting me with big smiles and thumbs ups as if I’d won something. Then their smiles wore out. They were replaced with waving and flailing hands, then with indifference and then with mocking.

One summer morning, I was sitting alone on the banks of the river, daydreaming; dreaming of being far away from this camp, alone and never to be found when I saw a woman with striking tangled afro hair emerge from the bushes and into the river. She looked like an Eritrean People’s Liberation Front fighter. The woman threw her bag on the riverbank and stripped naked.

I recognised her face. She was the singer I had seen last night where the People’s Front had their annual party. Many people sprayed paper money over her head and others placed their money on her forehead, and some women who didn’t have money, threw their jewellery at her feet. Others danced near her, forming a circle and parading round slowly to the rhythm of her music. I didn’t dance, or hear what she sang.

The fighters would normally show up in the summer to entertain us; they sang, danced and performed plays to remind us about our duty to the revolution. They also took with them new recruits, some as young as 14, but father and mother weren’t worried about me joining them, partly because I was deaf and partly, because I was only 12. The woman walked and stood on the riverbed and splashed her body with water. She was tall and dark with muscular arms and legs, and two big breasts. The woman touched her belly gently and then swam slowly. She then turned over and floated on her back. Her belly protruding from the water like an ocean island.

It was then that I thought about Red Flowers. The Red Flowers, as mum told me, were the children born to female fighters who would be separated from their parents and raised in communal crèches away from the battlefields, so that their parents could keep fighting. Later on, she got out of the river and while she was putting her trousers on, she noticed me. She looked at me and said something. I said nothing. She put the rest of her clothes on, walked and stood up in front of me. I got scared and shouted, ‘I’m deaf!’

The woman smiled. She rubbed my head and then my cheek with her right hand in a friendly way. I saw the top part of her little finger was missing. She thought for a moment and wrote with her index finger on the sand: Can you read?

I nodded.

The woman took out a newspaper from her bag and handed it to me. I looked through the headlines but then I saw the woman’s index finger pointing to a word: Fight. I looked up at the woman and ran away screaming, ‘Nooooooo!’

I hid behind a steep slope and peeked up at her. The woman put both of her hands up and took a few steps backward. She left the newspaper where it was, waved goodbye with one hand and walked away.

After I made sure she had left, I went back and picked up the newspaper. I had never read a newspaper before. I looked at all the pictures first and then I began reading the paper. There were many new words to me; short and long. Sometimes, I didn’t understand the sentences or in some cases, I could just about grasp the context. But that did not hinder me. I just read, page after page. I paid no attention to what was happening around me. It’d be the same as yesterday, I thought. Children will arrive and play on the river bed. Women will fill their water jugs or wash their children. Men will come with their donkeys and fill their leather panniers with water. The boys will jump into the river and swim and run away if they see a snake or two. No one will get drowned today. Only once a year someone would drown here and it happened last Friday. Travellers will cross the river by boat. The birds will fly over. The light and its heat will be the same with no clouds in sight. For a long time, I carried on reading and rereading the same paper until I persuaded my father, who was a tailor, to bring me a few newspapers from one of his visits to the city to replenish his fabrics.

I read and reread what my father brought me, day and night and ignored the world outside. Once my father noticed my love of this new world of text, he made an agreement with a newsagent in the city who kept for him each issue of a few newspapers. He would then pick them up whenever he was in the city. Within months, I had amassed thousands of newspapers in our store hut and under my bed. I read and re-read those newspapers, every day, from the moment I woke up until it was time to sleep. I read when I was eating despite my father’s objections that we should converse during family meals. And when I got bored of the old papers, I read the papers that the shops where we bought our groceries would use as paper cones for goods such as rice, wheat, green coffee beans, salt, white sugar or spices. Sometimes, those papers were in a foreign language. Not knowing in what languages they were, I simply took pleasure in staring at the images of the words. In the streets, I picked up any papers with words. I cleaned the dust off and read whatever was there, or sometimes after the rains, I found papers in the mud and took them home and waited until they dried. Gradually, unfamiliar patterns of words had become familiar, their meanings clearer. Each linked to images and stories…I turned words over in my mind and silently recreated their sound.

My mother and father were so proud of me. My mother took me with her to her on shopping trips so that I could read her the use-by-date on cans such as sardines, tomatoes, salsa or Nido milk powder. My father let me read him and his friends the news from the papers every evening no matter what the date on the newspapers was.

At the age of 12, I went back to school, a year late. My teacher noticed how good I was at reading fluently. Most of the people in the camp did not have radios but my teacher had one. He began transcribing the news from the radio at night so that I could read it to the students the next day. In the mornings, hundreds of students would line-up for the morning queues. Those queues were made up of six classes lined up in rectangular form; 2 rows deep. I’d stand in the middle read.

The first news broadcast I ever read out was:

Fifty naval force fighters from Eritrean People’s Liberation Front completed a successful attack on Nacura prison camp in Dahlak archipelago. The camp was established by the former Italian colonial rulers and is now used by Ethiopian occupying forces to detain thousands of innocent Eritreans. The forces freed more than 500 prisoners and killed more that 30 enemy soldiers…

Published September 27, 2019
© Saleh Addonia 2019

Il dono

Written in English by Saleh Addonia

Translated into Italian by Nausikaa Angelotti

«Le voci! Sparite!» ho urlato nella nostra capanna rotonda, non appena mi sono svegliato dallo stato comatoso in cui ero finito. Ma non riuscivo a sentire me stesso. Solo il tintinnio continuo che mi ronzava in testa. Ho visto la mia famiglia raccolta intorno a me, in lacrime. Ho provato a scendere dal letto per godermi la luce del giorno, ma mi girava la testa e sono ricaduto all’indietro, tappandomi le orecchie ronzanti.

Amici e parenti entravano nella stanza e si sedevano. Mi guardavano commossi e parlottavano tra loro. Per evitare di incontrare qualcuno, uscivo quando era buio, nelle notti senza luna, con mio padre che con la mano destra reggeva me e con l’altra la lanterna. Dopo qualche settimana ho riacquistato l’equilibrio e il mio corpo si è ripreso. Non ne potevo più di stare rinchiuso, allora mi sono fatto coraggio e sono uscito. Gli adulti e gli altri bambini mi salutavano con dei grandi sorrisi e i pollici in alto, come se avessi vinto qualcosa. Dopo un po’ i sorrisi sono svaniti. Al loro posto sono comparse mani agitate e sventolate, poi l’indifferenza e infine lo scherno.

Un mattino d’estate mi sono seduto in riva al fiume da solo, a fantasticare a occhi aperti; sognavo di trovarmi lontanissimo dal campo, isolato e sperduto per sempre, quando ho visto una donna con una matassa di capelli afro uscire dal bosco e avvicinarsi all’acqua. Sembrava una combattente del Fronte di Liberazione del Popolo Eritreo. Ha lanciato la borsa sulla riva e si è spogliata, nuda.

L’ho riconosciuta dalla faccia. L’avevo vista cantare la sera prima alla festa annuale del Fronte di Liberazione. La gente le ricopriva la testa di banconote, alcuni gliele posavano sulla fronte e delle donne senza soldi le avevano tirato ai piedi i loro gioielli. Altri ancora avevano formato un cerchio intorno a lei e ballavano al ritmo della sua musica. Io non ballavo e non sentivo quello che cantava.

D’estate era normale che i combattenti venissero a intrattenerci; cantavano, ballavano e recitavano per ricordarci il nostro dovere verso la rivoluzione. E si portavano via nuove reclute, alcune di appena quattordici anni. Ma mio padre e mia madre non temevano per me, un po’ perché ero sordo, un po’ perché di anni ne avevo solo dodici. La donna è entrata nel fiume, si è fermata e ha cominciato a spruzzarsi d’acqua. Era alta, mora, con le braccia e le gambe sode, e aveva due seni enormi. Si è accarezzata il ventre e ha iniziato lentamente a nuotare. Poi si è girata e si è messa a galleggiare sul dorso. La sua pancia affiorava dall’acqua come un’isola nell’oceano.

È stato allora che mi sono venuti in mente i «fiori rossi». I «fiori rossi», diceva mamma, sono i figli nati dalle combattenti che vengono separati dalle loro famiglie e cresciuti negli asili pubblici, lontano dai campi di battaglia, così i genitori possono continuare a combattere. Dopo un po’, la donna è uscita dal fiume e mentre si rimetteva i pantaloni mi ha visto. Ha detto qualcosa. Io non ho detto nulla. Quando ha finito di vestirsi, si è avvicinata e mi si è piazzata di fronte. Ho avuto paura e ho urlato: «Sono sordo!»

Lei ha sorriso, mi ha accarezzato con la mano la testa e poi la guancia, in modo amichevole. Ho notato che le mancava la punta del mignolo. Dopo un attimo di esitazione ha scritto con l’indice sulla sabbia: «Sai leggere?»

Ho annuito.

Dalla borsa ha tirato fuori un giornale e me l’ha passato. Mentre guardavo i titoli, lei mi ha indicato una parola: lotta. L’ho guardata e sono scappato via di corsa urlando: «Noooooo!»

Mi sono nascosto dietro una parete scoscesa e l’ho sbirciata di soppiatto. L’ho vista alzare le mani e fare qualche passo indietro. Ha lasciato il giornale dov’era, ha accennato un saluto e si è allontanata.

Una volta sicuro che se ne fosse andata, sono tornato a prendere il giornale. Era la prima volta che leggevo un giornale. Ho subito guardato tutte le immagini, poi ho cominciato a leggere. C’erano moltissime parole che non sapevo, lunghe e corte. A volte non capivo le frasi e in certi casi riuscivo a stento a comprendere il contesto. Ma questo non mi ha impedito di proseguire. Leggevo una pagina dopo l’altra. Non facevo più caso a quel che succedeva intorno. Sarà tutto come ieri, pensavo. I bambini verranno a giocare al fiume. Le donne riempiranno le brocche o laveranno i figli. Gli uomini arriveranno con gli asini a riempire d’acqua gli otri di cuoio. I ragazzi salteranno nel fiume per nuotare e scapperanno nel vedere un serpente o forse due. Nessuno annegherà oggi. Affoga una persona all’anno qui, ed è successo venerdì. I viaggiatori attraverseranno il fiume in barca. Gli uccelli ci voleranno sopra. La luce e la calura saranno le solite, nessuna nuvola in vista. Per molto tempo ho letto e riletto lo stesso giornale finché non ho convinto mio padre, che faceva il sarto, a portarmi qualche quotidiano dai suoi viaggi in città, dove andava a rifornirsi di stoffe.

Leggevo e rileggevo quello che mio padre mi portava, giorno e notte, ignorando il mondo esterno. E quando mio padre ha capito la passione che provavo per quel nuovo mondo di parole, si è messo d’accordo con il proprietario di un’edicola per farsi lasciare tutti i numeri di alcuni quotidiani e ritirarli ogni volta che andava in città. Nel giro di pochi mesi ho ammassato migliaia di giornali nella capanna che usavamo come ripostiglio e sotto il letto. Li leggevo e li rileggevo, ogni giorno, da quando mi svegliavo a quando tornavo a dormire. Leggevo persino mentre mangiavo, nonostante le obiezioni di mio padre, che avrebbe preferito conversare. E quando ero stufo dei vecchi giornali, leggevo quelli che nei negozi di alimentari dove facevamo la spesa venivano usati come coni di carta per contenere i prodotti sfusi come il riso, il grano, i chicchi di caffè fresco, il sale, lo zucchero e le spezie. A volte erano in una lingua straniera. Allora, mi divertivo a osservare le forme delle parole. Per strada raccoglievo ogni pezzo di carta stampata che trovavo. Lo ripulivo dalla polvere e leggevo qualunque cosa ci fosse scritta sopra. Certe volte dopo la pioggia trovavo dei giornali nel fango; li portavo a casa e aspettavo che asciugassero. Sequenze di parole sconosciute diventavano poco a poco più familiari e comprensibili, e ognuna era associata a immagini e storie diverse… Trasformavo le parole col pensiero e silenziosamente ne ricreavo i suoni.

I miei genitori erano così orgogliosi di me. Mia madre mi portava con lei a fare la spesa perché leggessi sulle lattine la data di scadenza di sardine, pomodori, salsa o latte in polvere «Nido». Mio padre mi faceva leggere ogni sera le notizie per lui e i suoi amici, a prescindere dalla data del quotidiano.

Sono tornato a scuola a dodici anni; avevo perso un anno. Il maestro si è accorto che leggevo alla perfezione. Lui era tra i pochi al campo ad avere una radio. Così ha cominciato a trascrivere il giornale radio ogni sera, in modo che potessi leggere le notizie agli studenti il giorno dopo. Ogni mattina, le centinaia di alunni che componevano le sei classi della scuola si disponevano su due file a formare un grande rettangolo. Io mi mettevo al centro e leggevo.

La prima notizia radiofonica che ho letto ad alta voce è stata:

Cinquanta combattenti delle forze navali del Fronte di Liberazione del Popolo Eritreo hanno sferrato un attacco vincente al campo di detenzione di Nocra, nell’arcipelago delle isole Dahlak. Costruito dai dominatori coloniali italiani, il campo è oggi usato come prigione dalle forze di occupazione etiopi che vi tengono rinchiuse migliaia di eritrei innocenti. Il Fronte ha liberato più di cinquecento prigionieri e ucciso oltre trenta soldati nemici…

Published September 27, 2019
© Specimen 2019


Close Language
Close Language
Add Bookmark